Friday, December 22, 2006

This Just In...

I'm certain I'm in the running for the "Don't do what I do, do as I say" blogging award in the "Practice What You Preach" category. Here I am, claiming to be "passionate about improving people's experience on the Web" while completely ignoring the people who read this blog.

Not to make any excuses (though I will), but I recently accepted a job offer that was simply too good to refuse. I'm now part of a talented and impassioned team that's reinventing a long-neglected site and determined to make it the best in its class while setting new standards for user experience. We're going to do it too—just you wait. Since we're still in beta, I'm going to keep the property under wraps for now. Suffice it to say that this is the project I've long awaited.

Meanwhile, a little shameless promotion...

First, I am delighted that Effective Prototyping for Software Makers (Morgan Kaufmann) has hit the bookshelves. I contributed the final chapter (a tutorial on digital prototyping with Adobe Acrobat) which I'm sure is motivation enough for you to buy the book (tongue firmly in cheek). All kidding aside, the book is a masterwork. Authors Jonathan Arnowitz, Michael Arent and Nevin Berger produced a book that is not only comprehensive but extremely practical. If you do any type of prototyping for software or Web, this book belongs on your shelf. You can learn more (and read sample chapters) at the Effective Prototyping Web site. Buy it now from Amazon!

And second, my latest column just went live at gotomedia's December gotoreport. Entitled "On Beyond Tinkertoy," I make the outlandish assertion that usability is the Tinkertoy of Web design and that it's time we grow up and move on to bigger and better things. You'll have to read the column to see what those are. And many thanks to Kelly Goto for giving me such a bully pulpit for my thoughts!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home